Saturday, July 14, 2012

How to Remove Tar from Vehicle Seats and Carpet

WD-40_funWD-40_fun (Photo credit: ocean yamaha)
My dog tracked tar all over the place in my SUV.  I had no clue how to get tar off my cloth seats and carpet.

I am writing this because I don't want you to waist your time and energy doing all the thing on the Internet that is suggested like I did.

Let me describe the color of the interior in my SUV.  My interior is a light colored tan.

Here is what I tried:  GoJo,Dawn Dish Soap,Tar Remover from a auto store,Turpentine,ice

All these suggestions sorta worked but took time and a lot of effort.  I do not suggest using these suggestions because it also makes your carpet fuzz and damaged looking.

What I will suggest is WD-40.  I know its nothing new it is suggested all over the Internet.

I did not want to use WD-40 because I didn't want oil residue on my interior and carpet.

I found WD-40 in my shed.  I used it where there was the most tar.  To my surprise the tar came right up easily without no oil residue and no damage to the carpet.

Use a wash rag.  A light or white wash rag.  Spray the WD-40 on the tar.  Let soak for a minute than scrub with wash rag.  As you scrub.  Keep using clean parts of the wash rag.  The cleaner the spot gets the less pressure you use to to scrub.  Always scrub in a circular motion until you see no more tar stain.

No need to rinse.  Don't worry about the smell.  The smell goes away in a few hours.
Enhanced by Zemanta